The Mountain Training Expedition Skills Module is an optional module available to walking leaders. It’s an opportunity to increase your skills where you will be trained and assessed (together) to lead groups on multi day camping expeditions. The flexibility of the module makes it useful for Lowland Leaders, Hill and Moorland Leaders and Mountain Leaders in terrain and conditions within the scope of their respective leadership award.
The Expedition Skills Module is ideal for those involved with the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and/or Ten Tors training (among other things) because the skills covered apply to expeditions using commercial campsites as well as wild camping.
The 2-day (2-nights) programme will include:
- Modern tents and shelters
- Modern stoves and cooking
- Expedition food
- Siting and pitching tents
- Environmental issues when camping
- Wild and semi wild camping
- Supervising camping groups
- Remote expedition supervision
Course timings are flexible depending on the time of year and conditions and evening sessions are included.
For further information on the Expedition Skills Module visit the Mountain Training website and download the award information.
Pre-course requirements set by Mountain Training include:
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- The Expedition Skills Module may not be completed until after the candidate has completed and passed their Lowland Leader Award or Hill and Moorland Leader Award assessment.
- Have an updated and relevant first aid certificate; at least 16 hours.
- Have personally undertaken and logged an absolute minimum of 10 overnight camps; ideally in a variety of contexts.
- Have assisted with at least two group camps (these can be included in your 10 personal camps).
- You are a member of the BMC and have registered on to the Expedition Skills Module through the Mountain Training website.
Accommodation and Catering
You will be camping for the duration of this course which is all covered in the course cost. We provide hot drinks and other refreshments during the course but meals are not provided – you will need to bring your own food for the course duration.
For written directions see our contact us page or use our grid reference: SK196 710 or our Longitude and Latitude numbers of 53.235849,-1.7080847.
Full course details including a programme and kit list will be sent to applicants by email before the course. For further details please get in touch with us.
You can read our course booking terms and conditions here.