In these Terms and Conditions the following definitions shall apply:
‘The Booking Form Part A’ means the form which shall form part of these Terms and Conditions, which is to be completed by the Hirer and signed by either the Hirer’s head teacher/ deputy head teacher or finance manager, or for non school bookings the person responsible for paying the invoice or the group organiser; and which shall contain information as to the details of the booking, the minimum and maximum number of participants, the deposit, bond if required, basic charge for the hire of the Premises and the date of hire of the Premises, equipment and services.
‘The Hirer’ means the person/s, organisation, hiring the Premises, equipment or services.
‘The Cost of Hire’ means the total cost of hire of the Premises, equipment or services.
‘The Premises’ means the buildings, Woodlands, grounds and any other recreational and / or other facilities belonging to or utilised by Thornbridge Outdoors.
‘Thornbridge Outdoors’ means the business that provides accommodation, outdoor and environmental activities for groups, training courses, event planning, event hire and management training, and owned by Sheffield City Council.
‘Thornbridge Outdoors’ Premises Manager’ means the manager of the Premises at any given time.
‘Sevices’ means anything provided by Thornbridge Outdoors which includes and is not limited to, bookings away from the premises, equipment hired or loaned for use away from the premises, advice, instructed activities/training provided by Thornbridge Outdoors.
‘Group’ means family, friends, school, organisation, persons coming together.
‘Minimum numbers’ means the minimum number of paying visitors/participants that the hirer is committed to pay for. Minimum numbers are initially stated on the booking form but may be increased during visit planning and agreed by phone or email.
‘Equipment’ means fixed or portable items used by individuals or groups.
2. Booking confirmation and payment:
The Hirer shall forward the Booking Form Part A to Thornbridge Outdoors within 1 week for schools and 48 hours for non schools of making a provisional booking in order to confirm the booking. Where the Hirer fails to return the signed Booking Form Part A within the timescales of making a provisional booking, the provisional booking will be cancelled and the Hirer will have to re-book a provisional booking with Thornbridge Outdoors.
- A non refundable deposit will be due at the time of returning the booking form to Thornbridge Outdoors. The amount requested will be shown on the booking form Part A. If the visit date is less than 12 weeks away, the full amount will be due immediately.
- A refundable bond (if requested) will be due at the time of paying the outstanding balance by debit / credit card. This will be returned after the visit should the premises be handed back in the same condition as they were found. A sliding scale will be applied, but should the cost to rectify any damage or additional cleaning be more than the bond, the difference will become due immediately after the visit.
- For school type bookings the Hirer shall confirm the final number of participants at least 7 weeks prior to the start date of the hire, to enable Thornbridge Outdoors to raise an invoice. In any event, Thornbridge Outdoors shall then invoice the Hirer for the Cost of Hire for the number of participants which has been confirmed at the point of issue of the invoice. Once the invoice has been issued, the Hirer shall pay the invoice at least 3 weeks prior to the start date of the hire, and shall not increase the number of participants which has been confirmed at the point of issue of the invoice unless prior permission has been obtained from Thornbridge Outdoors.
- For non School bookings the hirer will pay the outstanding balance and bond (if applicable) at least 12 weeks prior to the visit date.
If the Hirer cancels the booking the below cancellation charges will apply to the total of:
- Any per person costs multiplied by the minimum number of participants
- Any fixed costs (i.e. those that do not vary with the number of participants)
- Prior to 26 weeks before the start date, loss of deposit.
- 26 to 18 weeks before the start date, 25%
- 17 weeks and 6 days to 12 weeks before the start date, 50%.
- 11 weeks and 6 days or less before the start date, 100%
If a group wishes to transfer the date/s of the booking this will be at the discretion of the Thornbridge Outdoors Premises Manager. If agreed, an administration fee will become payable, should the transfer date be then cancelled a 100% cancellation fee will be applicable.
If the Hirer tells Thornbridge Outdoors that it wishes to reduce the booked number of participants to below the contracted minimum, cancellation charges based on the above rates will apply to the cancelled places, and a new minimum fee will apply based upon the reduced booked number. If necessary, Thornbridge Outdoors will issue a replacement contract.
Thornbridge Outdoors shall invoice the Hirer for the cancellation charges and the Hirer shall pay the invoice within 2 weeks of the invoice being issued. If payment has been made under clause 2 (Payment) then Thornbridge Outdoors shall off-set those payments against the cancellation charges.
Should a booking be made before prices are confirmed for that period an increase in charges may be applied to the booking (this will be no more than 10% annually). If the charges increase we will notify the hirer as soon as reasonably possible by email in advance of the visit date. It will be up to the hirer to notify us in writing if the hirer wishes to cancel the booking due to the increase in charges. The cancellation charges above will be applicable.
Where catering has been booked by the hirer, the hirer will be liable for paying the associated costs upon the confirmation of the numbers and catering requirements. In the event of cancellation of the booking or the group changing their minds less than 10 days prior to the visit date, a 100% charge for the catering will be payable.
Where Instructed activities have been booked by the hirer, the hirer will be liable for paying the associated costs upon the confirmation of the booking of the Instructor. In the event of cancellation of the booking or the group changing their minds, the above cancellation fees will be applicable in respect of the Instructor charges. The maximum group size for any activity is 12 people and at least one adult must be present at all times. Activities may be cancelled at short notice due to unforeseen circumstances, should this be the case we will try our best to rearrange or we will refund the Instructor charge of your booking.
4. Use of the Thornbridge Outdoors premises:
The Hirer shall not use the Premises for any purpose other than that specified in the Booking Form Part A.
- For non-school bookings, unless otherwise agreed, the booking includes the use of the accommodation area(s) booked and shared use of the games field by the Farm House. Some parking spaces may be available in our car park but are not guaranteed.
- The hirer shall ensure that all group members are made aware of the fire evacuation procedure, conducting a fire drill early during the visit if appropriate.
- The Hirer shall be liable for and shall indemnify Thornbridge Outdoors in full against any expense, liability, loss, claim or proceedings arising under statute or at common law in respect of personal injury to or death of any person whomsoever or loss of or damage to property whether belonging to Thornbridge Outdoors or otherwise arising out of or in the course of or caused by the use by the Hirer of the Premises.
- In the event of any damage to the fittings, furniture, equipment or any other property on the Premises at any time whatsoever, the Hirer shall make good and pay for any damage (including accidental damage) caused by any act, omission or neglect of the Hirer, their employees, contractors, agents or any other person at the Premises by reason of the Hirer’s use of the Premises.
- All liability in respect of any damage to or theft or loss of property, goods or articles brought onto or left on the Premises, either by the Hirer, their employees, contractors, agents or any other person at the Premises by reason of the Hirer’s use of the Premises shall rest with the Hirer.
- The Hirer, their employees, contractors, agents or any other person at the Premises by reason of the Hirer’s use of the Premises, shall during the period of hiring or any such other time as they shall be in the Premises for the purpose of the hiring, comply with all reasonable requirements of Thornbridge Outdoors’ authorised officers or representatives, whose right of entry to the Premises or any part thereof shall be reserved to them at all times during the hiring.
- Thornbridge Outdoors shall not be liable for any loss incurred by the Hirer, their employees, contractors, agents or any other person at the Premises by reason of the Hirer’s use of the Premises due to any breakdown of machinery, failure of supply of electricity, leakage of water, fire, government restriction or act of God, which may cause the Premises to be closed or the hiring to be interrupted or cancelled.
- The Hirer shall adhere to the times specified in the Booking Form Part A and or Part B for use of the Premises and shall ensure that the Premises are vacated at or prior to the time specified therein.
- If, in the opinion of Thornbridge Outdoors, the Premises are rendered unfit for use and / or require closure for any reason whatsoever, Thornbridge Outdoors shall, by notice, in writing, sent by email, facsimile or recorded delivery post to the last known address of the Hirer, inform the Hirer that any booking arrangement affected by the closure has been cancelled. In the event of such cancellation, Thornbridge Outdoors will use its reasonable endeavours to make alternative accommodation arrangements with other local centres or will repay any payments made by the Hirer under clause 2 (Payment) and the Hirer, their employees, contractors, agents or any other person at the Premises by reason of the Hirer’s use of the Premises shall have no claim against Thornbridge Outdoors for any damage or loss sustained in consequence of such a cancellation.
- Any electrical items brought onto our premises are the responsibility of the hirer whom must ensure they are in safe working order.
- The Hirer shall appoint a group leader who will be responsible for the safety and discipline of their group.
- The group leader will also be responsible for making sure that any activity equipment is not used without a suitably qualified, Thornbridge approved person.
- Use of activity equipment around the site, such as our low ropes course, climbing boulder and bike tracks, involve an element of risk. Please be aware that our equipment is designed for use by groups led by a suitably qualified instructor, or pre-approved visiting group member, whilst using certain safety equipment.
- If alcohol is to be consumed it should be in moderation and within the hired building or on the patio area of the hired building, and must comply with licensing requirements.
- A licence may be required for other purposes, e.g. music, singing, dancing, and the Hirer must ensure that all licensing requirements are complied with in relation to any such additional activities undertaken at the Premises; such activities and licensing requirements must be discussed with Thornbridge Outdoors’ Premises Manager at the time of booking.
- Dogs / pets (except guide / assistance dogs with prior permission) are not permitted on the Premises at any time.
- Fireworks are not permitted on our site and only small campfires are permissible in the designated camp fire areas.
- Smoking including electronic cigarettes must be confined to the designated areas. If it is found that smoking has taken place other than in the designated areas the Hirer will be liable for additional charges incurred should extra cleaning be required.
- Noise including and not limited to sound systems, live groups, general group gatherings must be reduced after 23:00 hours and must be confined to indoor spaces after this time.
- Visitors who cause a nuisance may be asked to vacate the premises and no refunds will be given.
Last Updated November 2019.