The Mountain Training Hill and Moorland Leader Award is for leaders wishing to take groups into moorland areas in the UK, including the Peak District, Dartmoor, Exmoor, the Yorkshire Dales and the Cheviots. This award is an opportunity to learn the leadership skills required to feel confident about taking people out walking and focuses on non-mountainous terrain. Subjects covered include navigation, hazards, emergency procedures and group management.
Previously this award has been known as the Walking Group Leader Award and no longer includes the ‘overnight experience’. A separate Expedition Skills Module can be ‘bolted on’ to certain walking awards if you want to increase the scope of your award to include multi-day expeditions.
The 3-day programme will include:
- Navigation and route finding
- Leadership skills
- Hazards and emergency procedures
- Access and environmental issues
Course timings are flexible depending on the time of year and conditions. Evening sessions and night navigation practise are included.
For further information on the Hill and Moorland Leader Award scheme visit the Mountain Training website and download the award information.
Pre-course requirements set by Mountain Training include:
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- To have completed at least 40 quality hill walking days in appropriate terrain, in at least 3 distinct areas of the UK and Ireland.
- Have attended a Hill and Moorland training course or been granted exemption.
- Be familiar with the syllabus.
- Hold a valid and relevant first aid certificate of at least 16 hours.
- You have registered on to the Hill and Moorland Leader Award through the Mountain Training website.
Accommodation and Catering
Our courses are non-residential however, If you require accommodation during the course it may be available onsite (at an additional charge)- please phone to enquire. If accommodation is not available here we will give you details of alternatives available in the area upon request.
We provide hot drinks and other refreshments during the course but meals are not provided – you will need to bring your own packed lunch each day.
For written directions see our contact us page or use our grid reference: SK196 710 or our Longitude and Latitude numbers of 53.235849,-1.7080847.
Full course details including a programme, kit list and home paper will be sent to applicants by email before the course. For further details please get in touch with us.
You can read our course booking terms and conditions here.