Discounted Hill & Moorland Leader and Lowland Leader Course Opportunities – March 23
We are an approved provider for Mountain Training’s nationally recognised Lowland Leader and Hill & Moorland Leader qualifications.
To encourage new leaders to share their love of the outdoors with others, we are offering half price places on our March 23 courses:
- Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th March – Lowland Leader training – £70 (down from £140)
- Friday 24th – Sunday 26th March – Hill & Moorland Leader training – £110 (down from £220)
To qualify for a discounted place
- Email email@example.com before midday on Monday 9th January saying why you deserve a subsidised place.
- Once Thornbridge Outdoors have replied to confirm your place please:
- Register for the relevant award with Mountain Training before midday on Friday 14th January.
- Pay the £50 deposit to confirm your course place before midday on Friday 14th January.
- Pay any outstanding course balance at least 3 weeks before your course.
Which award is right for me?
Mountain Training suggests that you think about what kind of terrain will you be on: mountain, hill and moorland or lowland. The main differences between the three entry level walking qualifications include: accessibility (in case of an emergency), the level of navigation required, and the steep/rocky nature of the terrain encountered.
- Lowland Leader – lowland countryside, woodland, coastal paths etc. Navigation is on footpaths which don’t generally stray more than 3km from access points.
- Hill & Moorland Leader – open, uncultivated, non-mountainous high or remote country. Navigation on and off paths. Groups should be able to exit their route within about three hours. Movement on steep or rocky ground (planned or unplanned) is not required.
- Mountain Leader (an award we do not offer) – wild country which may contain unavoidable steep and rocky ground where walkers are dependent upon themselves for immediate help. Navigation on and off path.
Stages of Mountain Training’s Awards
- Visit the Mountain Training website and register for the relevant scheme (£49 payable to Mountain Training. For the Hill & Moorland Leader you also need to join the BMC).
- Please note the prerequisites for the award before you register.
- Book on and attend a training course.
- Lowland Leader courses are 2 days and Hill & Moorland Leader courses 3 days.
- Consolidation period
- Time to develop your skills, paying particular attention to any weaknesses identified during the training course.
- Attend and pass an assessment course, which are the same length as the training course.