Here at Thornbridge Outdoors we are supporters of Learning Away’s Brilliant Residentials campaign, whose vision is for more children and young people to enjoy residentials and the life changing experiences they offer.
Learning Away spent five years working with 60 schools to get a clear picture of what high-quality residential learning is and have coined the phrase ‘Brilliant Residentials’ to describe these experiences.
Brilliant Residentials are school trips, with at least one overnight stay, which are:
- fully integrated with the school curriculum and ethos
- designed and led by teachers and, where appropriate, students
- inclusive and affordable for all students
- deliberately and collaboratively planned to meet students’ specific learning needs and to embed and reinforce learning back in school
- part of a progressive programme of experiences
- designed to include a wide range of new and memorable experiences
- designed to allow space for students to develop collaborative relationships with both peers and staff
- evaluated rigorously
- supported by senior leadership and school governors.
We can help schools to deliver Brilliant Residentials by providing tailored residential visits where teachers are empowered to take a key role in the planning and delivery to ensure that it is a truly Brilliant Residential.
Learning Away have also just launched a campaign for Winter Residentials to raise awareness about the benefits of school residentials in the winter months.
We are keen to encourage winter residentials which is why the centre operates throughout the year. We have made significant investments to make our buildings more comfortable in the winter months and have invested in a stock of warm clothing for groups when out of activities. There is no such things as the wrong weather, only the wrong clothes…
Residentials in the autumn and winter months:
- enable relationships between young people and school staff to be enhanced over the course of a residential early in the year to then benefit learning throughout the rest of the year
- boost the confidence of pupils early in the academic year
- can lead to better bonding experiences – a campfire when it’s genuinely dark and cold at 6pm in the winter can be much more effective than a warm dusky one at 11pm in the summer
Please consider a winter residential for your pupils – we still have availability in winter 2017 & winter 2018 and offer schools a 10% discount between late November and mid February.